New Homes & Additions

The Red River Planning District is responsible to ensure that submitted building plans and blueprint drawings meet the Manitoba Building Code requirements and, the placement of the dwelling or addition on the property meets the requirements of the applicable Zoning By-Law. New Home building permits and plumbing permits are issued concurrently. Inspections are provided according to the complexity of the plans submitted and are unique to the house or addition being built.

We encourage you to submit your application well in advance of your project start date. Exact processing times will be dependent on the complexity of your application and the total number of applications received. Applications for projects that are submitted in the busy construction season (April to September) may take longer to process.

Certified Professional Plan Submission

An option is being offered for Part 9 buildings (i.e. single family dwellings or buildings that are 3 stories or less and less than 600 m2 in area), where a professional engineer would under seal submit a letter stating that they take responsibility for the design/plan and construction as per plans. This would then eliminate the need to do a full plan review by the District. Zoning and other by-law reviews would still occur and inspections would still be completed in the same manner as they are completed today. The intent is to streamline approvals for these types of permits. The following permits will be considered as part of the Certified Professional Program.

  1. Single Family Dwellings
  2. Two Family Dwellings
  3. Additions to Single Family and Two Family Dwellings


New Dwellings & Additions

Certified Professional Submission

Lot Grading


  1. Application Form
  2. Application Form - Certified Professional Submission
  3. Site Plan tooltipSite Plan - A site plan is a bird’s eye view of a property that is typically drawn to scale. A site plan should include:
    • All Property lines, plus their dimensions
    • Outline of existing and proposed buildings and structures with dimensions including accessory structures
    • Distance between all buildings (eave to eave)
    • Distance between proposed structure and property lines (setbacks) to wall
    • Easements (if applicable) found on your status of title
    • Parking lots, indicating parking spaces (commercial only)
    • Driveways
    • North Arrow
    • Surrounding streets
    • Landscaped areas (commercial only)
    • Well and Septic Field Locations
  4. 2 Copies of engineered sealed construction plans (seal to be current within 1 year of application) tooltipEngineered Stamped Plans - An Engineer qualified to work in that field and licensed by the Province of Manitoba, must seal all the structural drawings that are not covered in the Manitoba Building Code and are required to be current within 1 (one) year of application.
  5. Status of Title (current within 30 days of application) tooltip

    Status of Title - Our office requires a current copy of your status of title before any building or structure may be placed on the property. The status of title must be current within 30 days of making application and can be obtained from the Winnipeg Land Titles Office at 276 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg MB or by calling 1-844-737-5684.

  6. Residential Application Review Fee tooltip

    Plan Review Fee - A plan review fee must accompany all applications. Residential and Commercial Plan Review fees will be applied against the final cost of the permit upon issuance. Plan Review fees are non-refundable. If the permit has not been issued within 6 (six) months of application date, the application is void. Payment options are debit, cheque or cash.

  7. Letter of Authorization (Required if someone is filling out the application on behalf of the owner) tooltipLetter of Authorization - An authorization letter gives a third party permission to act on the owners behalf. In the event that the owner is not making the permit application, the owner will need to draft a letter providing the name of the persons authorized to make application for required development permit for proposed work to be completed. Letter must be signed and dated.